venerdì, novembre 09, 2007

pedagogy?

So I've been thinking more and more about what it means to be a student. More specifically in my case, a graduate student. What is the role of the teacher? What is the role of the student?

Is that even the correct terminology to be used? Maybe therein lies the problem.

I decided to enroll in a graduate program. I'm paying thousands of dollars a year. Why can't we talk about what interests me? If there's one thing I've learned in the past 5 years of being in an academic environment is that there is not one way of doing something. When a professor imposes his pedagogy on a student and doesn't allow them to react, in accord or discord, what kind of intellectual growth is occurring?

Should a graduate program have an agenda? Or should it allow one to develop their own?

I don't claim to be a genius, or to know the answers but I read something the other day that really changed me.

"Young people go to university with the aim of becoming architects, of finding out if they have got what it takes. What is the first thing we should teach them?
First of all, we must explain that the person standing in front of them is not someone who asks questions whose answers he already knows. Practicing architecture is asking oneself questions, finding one's own answers with the help of the teacher, whittling it down, finding solutions.
Over and over again"

Peter Zumthor - Thinking Architecture

Nessun commento: